Shared Web Hosting Security
Shared and Reseller Shared Comparison
- One control panel – cPanel – for your primary domain and all your add-on domains
- Primary domain receives a WHM (web host manager) control panel as well as a cPanel
- Each account created through WHM gets it’s own cPanel which can have a different user name and password
- If a hacker (or malware) gains access toyour cPanel user name and password on a Shared account, they now have access to ALL YOUR DOMAINS!
- If a hacker (or malware) gains access to your WHM user name and password on a Reseller account they now have access to ALL WHM ACCOUNTS!
- If a hacker (or malware) gains access to your cPanel user name and password on a Reseller account, they only have access to that SINGLE DOMAIN!
Security Best Practice:
- A Reseller account, even if you only use it for your own domains, can be more secure IF you put each of your domains in a separate account, each with a unique cPanel user name and access.
- Create a one-off user name and password for your primary Reseller/WHM account.
- Create a one-off user name and password for each cPanel domain.